Scribus is a free program that allows you to create a layout of publishers' books, as well as layouts. This application supports the same functions as professional systems: support for a large number of image formats (Adobe Photoshop, TIFF, and JPEG), color adjustment, as well as CMYK format, support for vector formats, support for fonts such as Type 1, OpenType and TrueType. Scribus has a standard interface.
Features of Scribus
After starting the application, the user is prompted to download the parameters for creating a new project.
A large number of settings are provided:
- layout type;
- layout size, sheet size;
- document orientation;
- field guides;
- units of measure;
- other necessary parameters.
If you do not yet have much experience in creating similar projects, the program itself will offer you pre-prepared layouts for beginners. You can choose both booklets and book templates. You can use one template at first, and already in the process change its appearance to suit your tastes.
The working area, toolbar and context menu can be found after selecting the options. In the context menu there is a tab "Help", which will prompt the beginner the basics of the program. There shouldn't be any problems with the interface itself, the program, although free, is designed to work in a professional environment. All the icons are made qualitatively, their location is ergonomic.
Scribus supports a large number of fonts that text editors use. The application recognizes many image formats and allows you to insert them into your project in any quality and resolution.
Advantages of Scribus
- The program is free, with no functional limitations;
- Scribus is perfectly translated into English;
- Cross-platform: You can work with projects on Windows, MacOS, and Linux.
- Easy-to-understand interface and wide range of functions;
- Does not overload system resources, takes up little space on your hard drive;
- The project is constantly evolving through a wide community.